Thursday, July 16, 2009

It was summertime in northern Minnesota.

Hello all,


For my last blog I bring up a dangerous topic. Please refrain from verbal abuse or throwing virtual rotten vegetables. Summer is nearly over. Most of you will say that it is only half done. After July 4th my perception is a season stuck on fast forward. Every week I turn my head and its Wednesday, then I blink and its Saturday. For fall coaches like myself, planning our two-a-day practices is on the to-do list.

A new school year is just around the corner. The prior four quarters and thirty-six weeks are yesterday’s news. The time has come for us to roll up our sleeves for the long haul. It takes me quite a while to accept that proposition. My last school year was my best yet. Yet, teaching is like the northern weather, we all know its unpredictable. My batteries aren’t quite recharged, hopefully in another month they will be on full go.

After this week I won’t have this online resource anymore. I want to take advantage one last time. I have a few questions I hope you won’t mind answering. What are some things that you do to get motivated for another school year? Do you have a to-do list or a checklist? I am wondering if there is any good advice to start the year on the right foot.

I am a huge movie buff. I think I was Minnesota’s first Netflix subscriber. Just watched Slumdog Millionaire. What a great story! I have Doubt and Seven Pounds just waiting to be watched. You name it I have probably seen it. Except for the horror movies, not really my cup of tea. I wouldn’t touch the Drag me to hell with a ten-foot pole. My all-time favorite is Shawshank Redemption. “Get busy living or get busy dying.” One day I am going to Zihuatenejo, Mexico and go deep-sea fishing with Andy and Red. You know the Pacific has no memory. Sorry, anyway.

I stumbled upon a review of the top teacher movies while perusing through Education Week. Rent one or two of these films. The teachers are inspiring. They are guaranteed to get you in the mood to school up some young people.

Pay it forward
. Haley Joe Osmond plays Trevor McKinney. He is a middle school student and son of an alcoholic single mother, Arlene played by Helen Hunt. Kevin Spacey plays Trevor’s social studies teacher Mr. Simonet. Both Arlene and Mr. S are victims of abuse. This is a major theme of the film. Mr. S assigns Trevor’s class a community service project. Trevor comes up with a truly great idea. It is called pay it forward, doing three good deeds for somebody else and passing it on. Trevor’s movement spreads nationally. This is a great story about unselfishness and altruism.

Who can forget Mr. Holland's Opus? Richard Dreyfuss plays a musician and composer who takes a job as a music teacher to pay the bills. Teaching is going to be a temporary fix. His lifelong goal is to create one brilliant piece of music. Early in his career he struggles as a teacher. However, he eventually ends up making a huge difference in the lives of his students and family. I love the end. The music program gets cancelled. He is retiring and thinks his teaching career was futile. His former students, including the governor, return to play his piece “An American Song.”

Dead Poets Society, another classic. Robin Williams plays an English professor named John Keating. I think it was my junior high art teacher’s favorite. Her motto, like his, is “carpe diem.” He challenges his students to “seize the day” and live life to the fullest. Robin Williams is believable as a teacher, right? Mr. Keating definitely bucks the status quo.

I am involved in athletics so I must list Coach Carter. Samuel L. Jackson plays a basketball coach who believes in academics first. Almost as good as Snakes on a Plane. It appeals to me because many people get into coaching to teach young boys to be men. Coach requires that his players sit in the front row of classes, earn a 2.3 grade point average, and behave themselves. He locks up the gym and risks their undefeated season when they fall behind. Despite outrage from parents, players, and other teachers he sticks to his guns. Love it.

Okay this one isn’t about a traditional classroom teacher, but what the heck, The Karate Kid. I know, corny as can be. Ralph Macchio plays a bullied boy named Daniel Larusso. A martial arts master named Mr. Miyagi, played by Pat Morita, mentors him. Daniel Son is often confused by Mr. Miyagi's lessons. Miyagi has him doing all sorts of chores, like painting his fence. What the heck is “wax on, wax off?" Daniel Son learns discipline and self-control. In the end, Daniel Son faces his tormentors in the All Valley Karate Championship. The unforgettable scene is when Daniel Son knocks out Johnny, even after Johnny injured him with an illegal move. Great story about adversity, perseverance, and determination.

Alright, I had some fun with this blog. Check out one of these films if you like. There are lots more that I didn’t mention. I forgot Dangerous Minds, Hoosiers, Summer School, and Freedom Writers off the top of my head. Please reflect on one earlier questions. That would be greatly appreciated. Keep your ears to the ground. The cavalry is on the way.

Have a great summer. Arek




There shall be eternal summer in the grateful heart. Cecilia Baxter.

6 comments:

  1. All those movies are great! I'm not sure what I do to motivate myself before the year starts but one thing I've started to do as I get older is workout more. I try to fit in lifting and running sessions during the school year. I'm a coach 3 seasons so this can be difficult. My wife and I also plan little getaways during the year over 3 and 4 day weekends if possible. This really helps to keep my stress levels down and break up the school year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Arek,
    I agree it is almost frightening to think that after this week a lot of our resources go away for a while. It can be hard to be in this program and feel isolated. And when school years start, it is overwhelming sometimes with so many things going on. I remember in the middle of last year feeling like, I was just trying to survive. It got easier and felt better but still we can get so caught up with the daily tasks (the copies, homework, grading) that we forget the big picture of what we are doing as educators. These movies remind us about what these things are. I have seen many of the movies that you suggested. As an undergraduate student one of my professors showed “Dead Poet’s Society” to keep us motivated and reminds us to push the boundaries. Though I haven’t done a lot of standing on desks, there are always times when we do out of the norm things to keep students engaged. It is a good reminder. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Arek, You sound like my husband quoting movies. His all time favorite movie is also Shawshank Redemption. Motivation. I am not really sure what to do exactly to get motivated. This summer I have been spending some time in my classroom organizing and getting rid of things that I have not used and don't plan to. That has motivated me to get excited a bit about school but I am not ready yet. I kind of think it is also a time of year thing. At the end of the summer when you know it is starting soon and summer feels like it is getting closer to ending I start to feel like I am excited. I am not exactly sure but hopefully we figure it out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have the same taste in movies...the rest of my family likes horror movies- I choose to read or do course work instead. To motivate myself for the school year...I bring my music collection and stereo system to school. I close the door and work, work, work. I think change excites and motivates me as well. Knowing I will be returning to teach FT kindergarten and able to let go of some of my previous responsibilities really helps me focus.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Shawshank Redemption is one of my favorite movies as well. Something about Morgan Freeman's voice narrating the thing. Another thing that gets me in geared up for school in the fall is attending the NDCTE (North Dakota Council of Teachers of English) summer conference. This year it's in Fargo, August 2-4. It's a great way to network with teachers around the state and learn ideas from their classrooms. Pass on the word to all your English teacher friends. It's not too late to sign up and it's an easy way to earn a credit too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Crouse and I were just talking about how crazy this summer has been. It seems like we had just cleaned our classrooms out and now we are getting ready to get going again. Football has begun to start for us too, we finished up camps and now we are looking forward to absolutely no time for ourselves. Just kidding. I liked the movies you listed but I would have to say that Mr. Holland’s Opus is the true number one movie for all teachers. I think that movie gives us all a good idea on how to live your life. We all have goals to move forward and try and accomplish goals that we have set for ourselves. Somewhere in between that we find ourselves touching someone else's life. Great reference from Shaw shank too. The one movie I think you forgot to mention is still the greatest sports movie and that is Miracle. Miracle was our teams theme this year on our record setting season for Bismarck High. Their hasn't been a western team in the championship rounds of hockey since 1992. We worked and did many of the same things as the movie. Our outcome wasn't the same, but we definitely gave the state of North Dakota something to talk about with our 2nd place finish. Its been fun blogging with you Arek and trading conversations back and fourth. I to see you at Mark's wedding and I still need your new number. Mine is still 7018805516. Talk to you later.

    ReplyDelete